Wednesday, March 26, 2008

tennis and bus-boys

Woke up an hour ago. Am thinking of getting an early start to my day. Here I am now, blogging away. I read one blog and got to thinking about tennis. The blogger wrote about a list of movies that involves tennis in the plot. I myself am not a tennis player, although I'd like to be. I attempted to learn it in 2006, with my husband (my boyfriend then) trying to transform me into a tennis protégée at the ripe old age of...let's not mention it anymore lest I embarass myself.

Needless to say, with him as my instructor, instead of learning how to play tennis, we inadvertently perfected the art of quarreling. I don't know if I was just too much of a sissy, or he was too hard on me. In any case, we stopped just before I learned the proper stance and forehand. Too bad because I think it's a sport I would've enjoyed a lot.

Anyway, I was thinking about tennis when the garbage truck came. I admire the people whose work is to clean up other people's trash. They are the metro aids (street sweepers), janitors, maids, and bus-boys, to name a few. To me, they are one of the unsung heroes of our time. How do you think they start their day? Are they eager to start their noble work every single day, or are they like the whiny office worker who can't wait for Friday to come along so they can unwind after a full week's work? Do they take pride in cleaning up the environment for all the other people to live in? I would, if I were in their position. I would probably try and make the more insensitive ones feel guilty for not being more earth-friendly in disposing of their junk.

Don't get me started on public littering that metropolitans all around seem to enjoy doing. Filipinos are especially notorious for this. I don't know if they will ever change their ways. Just walk through the streets of Manila in a day, and I tell you, it'll be quite an experience you'd remember for a long time. And I'm not just talking about the amount of trash you'll see, but also the various annoying habits you'll come across with. Sadly, public discipline is one virtue that I don't my countrymen possess. Hospitality, yes. Common courtesy, I don't think so. I think some people don't even know the meaning of it.

Maybe I'll elaborate on this some more in my other entries. If you'll excuse me, I need to get ready to do some grocery shopping. I'm quite happy to say that I'm bringing my earth-friendly green bag with me. This is one of my little efforts to help preserve the earth. I just wish everyone else would realize how these kinds of initiative go a long way.

No comments:

Google